Topband: NR1DX, Dave, Introduction

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: NR1DX, Dave, Introduction
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2019 13:13:38 -0400
I joined the group yesterday so by way of introduction  here is my background

I was first licensed in 1961. I remember my first contact on 160M vividly, homebrew  6AQ5/807 running about 50 watts and a BC348...I still have the receiver but not the home brew transmitter. I had attached about 20 feet of wire to the metal flashing that runs around the edge of the house and I made a contact with another station in Miami (from Tampa) that evening on CW..I still get goose bumps thinking about the elation I felt . My other memorable 160M contact was also from Florida, with a  9V1  on a text book gray line path my sunset his sunrise. 750 watts and 60' inverted L. I was always a CW addict, seldom SSB. And hours of sorting beeps out of the noise on 160M has likely one of the main causes of more than few db of hearing loss after just plain being and "old fart" at 72

I have been continuously licensed since the 1961 ( WN4CDN, WA4CDN, WD0AQD, N0DH , N7EX, K9NX and finally NR1DX..)Except for brief interludes during moves I had been on the air continuously up until 2005. The rigors of caring for a terminally ill XYL, early retirement brought on by the crash in 2008 and a couple of moves (back) to Florida found me unable to get back on the air except for a brief period in 2009 until this year .

I have recently built my retirement dream station; a TS990, KPA1500 Amp , 40' Tower with a Stepp-IR 3E (for20-6) , Tree mounted Inverted V for 30/40 at 60' , Inverted L on 80 and a 60' high "T"  on 160, The later two with their own (non resonant ..alah k5IU) 90' elevated  radials. I live on a secluded, wooded 1.5 acres and the shack is a stand alone building apart from the main house which allows me to scream at the DX at 1AM if need be without waking up the new XYL and the dog.

My corporate life had me moving all over the USA from Fl to WA and AZ to NH plus several stints in between in TX, MO , IA, Wi , PA and MN. I have over 270 countries on 160 but never felt really right about claiming that as it is much easier to work JA from Spokane and Europe from New Hampshire and SA from Florida. I am not much of a paper award collector I know I worked those countries but I still enjoy counting band countries worked, The dream station has worked 208 DXCC countries, 972 "band" countries but only 14 so far on 160. (7 on CW and 7 on FT8). All since Feb15th of this year so yeah I am avid DX'r

My love is wire antennas, I model using EZENEC and MMANAN-GAL. I will be putting up receiving antennas hopefully between now and the end of September , Have room for a couple of 300-350' beverages but mostly E-W favored, so will considering steerable loops .

If you live in the greater Tampa, FL area, would love to get together and tell stories about antennas and lies about the DX we worked over lunch

Dave
NR1DX
manuals@artekmanuals.com