Topband: Easy way to lay out a 4 square?

To: 160 <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Easy way to lay out a 4 square?
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 12:17:53 -0700
While visiting another topband operator (I won't mention any names), I
noticed his 80 meter 4 square looked funny...  and after lots of thought, I
asked if it was really square.  It seems it wasn't.

While thinking about how hard it can be to layout a 4 square (like a
receiving one), I thought of perhaps an easy way to do it that doesn't
require a laser (which is what I have used in the past).

Step 1: Determine the heading you want to point the diagonal for the array
(say from SW to NE).  This dimension will be something like 193 feet if you
are making a 4 square on 160 with 1/4 wave element spacing.  Put a stake in
the ground at each end of this line.

Step 2: Construct a piece of small rope or wire that is the length of two
sides of the array.  For the above case - that would be about 273 feet.
Determine where the middle is and put a knot or something there.

Step 3: Secure the ends of the rope to your two end points and then stretch
it out in the two possible directions so both sections are tight.

You should now have a pretty good layout with equal spacing between the
elements.

I am sure some people have used this method - but I hadn't seen it
documented before - so I thought I would share it here.

73 Tree N6TR