Re: Topband: Modern Grand Solar Minimum from 2020 to 2055?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Modern Grand Solar Minimum from 2020 to 2055?
From: <k3ky@radioprism.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 18:23:34 -0700
A grand solar minimum would be so disastrous for upper HF.
Although I'd very much enjoy working Asians on 12 and 10
meters again, it now appears that may be less likely. OTOH
it would be of some benefit to have a quiet sun if the
Earth's magnetic field is indeed ready to flip!

I first got licensed as a ham right between Cycles 19
and 20- so as a new General class op in 1964 I was first
exposed to dead minimum solar activity. At that time,
working into Oceania in the evenings on 20m was a pretty
big deal and often a surprise to a young, inexperienced
ham. It sure made me appreciate the higher bands when
they reawakened.

73, David K3KY