Re: Topband: 30-Foot Vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 30-Foot Vertical
From: Dave Heil <k8mn@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 21:52:32 +0100
During my 1988-1989 stint as J52US in Guinea-Bissau and 1990-1991 stay as 9L1US, I made loads of QSO's in pile-ups and contests with a modified Butternut HF-2V.?? I bought larger tubing for the top section and moved the top-loading wires higher.?? The antenna then worked well on 160 and 80 and was not resonant on 40m.?? In both places the antenna was high--on top of a five story building with radials running on the roof and running down several stories to warehouse roof in Guinea-Bissau and on the flat roof of a three story apartment building atop one of the highest hills overlooking Freetown in Sierra Leone.?? In both places I had a tri-bander on several sections of tower on the roofs as well.

I made contacts from Helsinki in the mid-1980's with the same antenna (stock) but without as much success and again in the mid-1990's with it modified per the African variant but on the roof of a two-story building.

You might do pretty well with some top-loading wires and perhaps you could use a mast to give it a little more height.

73,

Dave K8MN