Topband: Lack of activity is not just on 160 CW

To: topband@contesting.com, terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Subject: Topband: Lack of activity is not just on 160 CW
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 23:53:15 -0700 (PDT)
FWIW guys and gals,

I can tell you the lack of activity is not just on CW and not just one band.
I've lately been getting up early enough to catch the morning European openings
on 20 SSB. Rarely do I get any one from 'across the pond' coming back to my CQ
DX over the north pole on SSB. That between 1730-1930 GMT. There will
definitely be propagation I know cause when I do work someone 'over there' I
can get reports like 59 or 59+10/20. That one came from 9A9RR today. I manage
to work some by hunt and peck moving up and down the band and there will be
some pretty strong stations part of the time out of Europe or Asia. But try and
sit on a frequency and call CQ DX over the pole and see if you get much
activity. Just isn't happening guys. Of course some VE's and stateside call in
just letting me know I'm 59+ out their way...funny how the 3 element Steppir
has such a wide beam width.

I miss managing to work 50-60-70 or more in a session but I'm hoping for better
activity later in the Spring and Summer (maybe). There is also the static. With
my hearing and hearing aids it isn't much fun dealing with the static. But just
be aware, lack of activity apparently is effecting a lot of the bands no mater
how big you antennas are or which band you are on. Or at least a couple of
modes I can think of.

Will 'Endeavor to persevere' as Chief Dan George said (think that was what he
went by).

Terry

KI7M