Re: Topband: Fw: Speaking of phased beverages...

To: daraymond@iowatelecom.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: Speaking of phased beverages...
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 14:35:04 +0000
I tried a phased beverage array. I assume that it is working, but have nothing to compare it to directly. I live in hilly terrain. In fact, the phased beverage is on the side of "my" hill.  The two wires are spaced about 360 to 380 ft apart and both are around 1100 ft long. Both are aimed at northern Europe. They do take up a lot of room. I figured about 10-11 acres! I have two separate feedlines that are quite long, 1000 and 1400 ft long.  Beverage #1 is on flat ground at the base of a ridgeline that is 200 ft higher. Beverage #2 is on top or on the slope of that ridge running parallel to #1. The interesting fact that I have observed is that beverage #2 (the higher one) hears quite a bit better than beverage #1. I use an NCC-1 box to combine both wires. If both are in phase, the signal gets stronger, so I know it is adding properly. I can also null out stuff in other directions, but it takes some finesse and gain adjustments to achieve good nulls.

So why is the higher beverage working better? I assume it is the local terrain. My next plan is to assemble a third wire up on top of the ridge to check out my theory, but the feedline will be 1800 ft long! I need a better way to get the signals back home!

Dave K1WHS