Re: Topband: Found my K9AY by WX0B AX-AYl-4 unit

To: Lloyd - N9LB <lloydberg@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Found my K9AY by WX0B AX-AYl-4 unit
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 11:27:13 -0500
Hi Lloyd and gang,

Because of the ground dependency issue, I really like pennants and flags
which have no electrical connection to ground requirement.  Modeling shows
that pennants and flags are influenced very little by ground conductivity
and height above ground (there is some dependency, but minimal in the grand
scheme of things), they just want to work (granted that modeling is not
100% perfect).

The single pennant or flag does not have a sharp forward peak (similar to
what Tim mentioned) and therefore not exceptional RDF value but they do
offer improvement in reception nonetheless (especially if you need to knock
down interference that's coming from the opposite direction of your desired
signal).  I find that 3 pennants are adequate for targeting the major
directions of DX from my location due to the lack of the sharp forward
peak.  I have also found that pennants and flags can be 50% the size of the
traditional size and still work quite well on 160 meters when used with a
21 dB gain preamp like the W7IUV preamp (might need slightly more gain if
you live in an area where the noise floor is very low).

P.S. I have never found a situation where my 68 foot base loaded vertical
provided better reception than my pennants on 160 meters.

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)