Re: Topband: Inverted L improvement question - Part 2

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L improvement question - Part 2
From: Peter Bertini <radioconnection@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 16:13:37 -0500
Todd

If you are interested in experimenting, you could try a K2AV folded
counterpoise under that inverted L.  If installed as recommended, it will
provide a decent counterpoise system.  One advantage to the FCP is that it
is possible to also end fed the system, should that be a requirement.

I was using an inverted L against a tower with random grounding--antenna R
was up in the 80 ohm range.   Over the K2AV, and away from the tower the
antenna R dropped to 26 ohms.  It works good enough for now. I have very
poor ground conductivity, and running a large radial field would be hard
over rocky sandy soil.  I also fed the L over the FCP for  80 meters, an L
Network is switched in to match the antenna, and the FCP counterpoise  is
changed over to 80 meters using surplus Russian vacuum relays.