Re: Topband: Morning Openings to Europe from Oregon

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Morning Openings to Europe from Oregon
From: W7RH <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2018 15:29:57 +0000
All, As Tree noted I've been able to get into Eastern Central and Norther Europe this past week. Truly a very rare case from this far south. The northern guys have an hour more darkness than at my latitude. The openings have been somewhat spotty.  I do not rely on RBN spots. Most RBN do not have good low noise RX antennas and do very little to tell me if my signal is making it to the desired areas. For me it's all new!

Maybe, the updates and tuning of the antenna system have played a roll. However, I think more than that the fact that I've retired since the last solar cycle has had more impact. But then I don't know as I've listened to N7UA and VE6WZ work many that I could not hear even in my very low noise environment.

This morning LA1MFA had a good low QSB signal for several hours. I was spotted by R3LA but did not hear nay other callers. R0SR and UA4HBW in the log earlier this week on the dreaded mode. All of these contacts have been polar direction. Signs are we are in for a great solar minimum. Here is hope that conditions will be favorable for the Stew Perry next weekend!

Tip, If you think band is open call CQ!

73 All, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Bob, W7RH

--
W7RH DM35OS

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Albert Einstein