Topband: Band Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Band Report
From: <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 14:47:25 -0600
Greetings Topbanders. . .

Tree’s recent post commenting that “the band is in great shape” has some truth.
 Conditions on topband this morning from the Midwest (Iowa) to JA were
outstanding.  Conditions to at least part of VK were also good as the VK4CT RBN
had me at 14 db. . .virtually the highest I’ve seen (simultaneously Luke/VK3HJ,
1000 miles to the south, said I was weak).  Not only were conditions good but
the QRN level was the lowest I’ve seen it in quite a while.  While the quiet
band certainly helps S/N and pulling out the weak ones, absolute signal levels
this morning were on par with the highest so far this season.  I only worked a
total of eight JA stations . . .six of which responded to my CQs and two of
which were CQing and I sought.  After about 60 minutes I finally gave up and
went QRT.  Five or 10 years ago these kinds of conditions would have easily
netted 15, 20, or even 30 JA QSOs and probably a couple in Z19.  Needless to
say, things have changed.

73. . .Dave, W0FLS