Re: Topband: Shunt feed procedure?

To: kenny.k2kw@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt feed procedure?
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 09:01:54 -0800
Some anecdotal info on use of Steppir antennas on loaded towers.

I have never heard of anyone experiencing arcing.  This also includes using
other antennas with isolated elements (like KLM).  There just isn't going
to be a potential difference.

I have helped several locals load their towers with Steppirs on them - and
nobody has had an issue.  ZL3IX uses an original Monster - as do I - on a
loaded tower.

When I first did mine - I purposely connected the elements at each end of
the boom to the boom electrically.  This was on a 77 foot tower and I found
putting the Steppir on 30 meters yielded a good mach with a gamm up about
45 feet.  However, I had one issue that might - or might not - have had
anything to do with 160 meter operation.  After a few months - both motors
at each end of the boom were frozen.  This was a mechanical issue.  The
antenna I put up was used - and had many miles on it - so it is hard to say
what was the root cause.  I did have some lightning that could have been a
contributor - but how connecting the boom to the element would affect the
motors is beyond me.

After fixing the motors - I decided to home the elements and use a loading
wire off the tower of the tower.  My new installation doesn't need any
boom alone is enough top loading.

I still feel your tower is too tall - but we have already talked about
that.  I do not know if modeling really works for this - but haven't
seriously tried it.

Tree  N6TR/7
Manning, OR