Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259 soldering/r

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259 soldering/reliability problems)
From: Petr Ourednik <indians@xsmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 08:51:51 +0100
Hi all,

I can confirm Martin's and Greg's experiences. It is strongly recommended to
avoid
using the PLs at all. I did the same changes and since that no problems at all.

Of course any adapters are avoided too. All cables must be properly assembled
with proper
and high quality N-connectors. Never use/buy the connectors without assembly
instructions
including the cutting lengths layout.

The only issue to think about it carefully is the power rating of N-connectors
(even PTFE).
These connectors are not designed and dedicated for high power and as the inner
pin is
a bit tiny I do not recommending to use them over "legal limit"...

I tested the PTFE version of N-connectors at 4kW in the lab and there was no
problem but
it was in comfortable conditions... low humidity, well mounted, no soft iron
soldering etc.
The conditions outside the shack can be a different situation...

In general - using the N-connectors with high quality cables properly mounted
up to "KPA500"
is highly recommended. The higher power level is deserving the 7/16 DIN usage
or similar.

(all is talking about "professional" approach to our ham radio hobby)

Hope it helps,
73 - Petr, OK1RP

73 - Petr, OK1RP
--