Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259 soldering/r

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259 soldering/reliability problems)
From: Renee K6FSB <k6fsb.1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 09:40:27 -0800
re the pl259/so239: The impedance bumps are generally irrelevant where the cable connects to the antenna or equipment due to the way most wiring is done at those points. notice I said generally. The only time it may be an impedance bump issue is in switching where 50 ohm is not maintained or connecting two cables together with a barrel connector. note this a "may be" condition. what loss it introduces is very minimal below 250mhz, above 500mhz that is another issue. note there is a nebulous region and ,most cases works just fine there. Note the pl259/so329 can be used to a gig with care. as for shield integrity is not the best, however it may be good enough for most applications now all of the above must have proper assembly in all aspects as do all cable connections. in my opinion it is a good connector. Is my favorite- no, it has its' applications and it has its limitations as do all connectors and being aware of those limitations can sometimes be mitigated, if not look to a different connector. in the case of general amateur use, water intrusion ( for outdoor application) and  keeping the shell from getting loose (causing shield continuity issues) must be addressed.
Renée, K6FSB