Re: Topband: W7LR

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: W7LR
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 19:31:32 +0000
Tree,
  Would you please pass along Bob W7LR's new address. Or a phone number if you
have it. Bob and I corresponded regularly as he was one of the very first that
I designed a receiving array for quite a long time ago. It was a broadside end
fire array 320 feet wide. He later bought a 4 square system and put it up. He
would ask questions regularly through e-mail and share how he and Coby were
doing. It must have been over a year ago when the e-mails stopped. He was still
talking then about wanting to work DX and moving his arrays around. He thought
maybe just putting the 4-square up after the horses were moved as it was
easier. He was doing all this in his late 80's and early 90's.  I think it was
about a year ago when he said it was getting harder to figure the arrays out
anymore as he had a printed out stack of e-mails from me that was 2 inches
thick.
      A funny story about his first Hi-Z RX array he put up with my
electronics. He worked his tail off putting up the verticals and stringing the
cables etc. He finally settled down to try it out. He thought it was not
working as good as his phased verticals and Beverages for top-band. He spent
hours and days checking everything out. Then one day much later after 160 was
wide open and he worked many many stations with his Beverage really bringing in
the stations better than any other antenna, he e-mailed and said to me he owed
me an apology, he said he had miswired his home made antenna switch and he had
really been using the BSEF array and it was in fact outplaying any of his other
RX antennas. He was pretty excited that all the work had paid off. We got a
good laugh out of that.
    Before I got overloaded commercially making Hi-Z a business I started
writing a book about high impedance technology with antennas. I sent him a
draft and he was kind enough to look it over with suggestions for improvement.
He obviously spent many hours looking at my drafts making school teacher type
notes.  Not many knew it but he also managed a mountain top repeater site
commercially as well.
   He is a great guy when you get to really know him. It would be awesome to
contact him again.
   Thanks Tree.
Lee   K7TJR   OR