Re: Topband: Vertical antennas aren't always best for DX everywhere - th

To: <top@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical antennas aren't always best for DX everywhere - the facts
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 11:06:28 -0500
There is no such things as "best antenna".
When I lived in Arizona, I had on a hill-top a doublet with 300 foot arms at 100 foot height (effectively more because of the hill-top). I used it both as a doublet and as a vertical T (with the two wires of the ladder line shorted). It had about 40 radials of various lengths, between 100 and 150 feet. Almost always the doublet was better. Now I live in FL, on an island, and my vertical is on the edge of the salt-water. It is only 45 foot tall with two top loading wires. It gets out very well and I have no interest in trying a dipole. A lot depends on the location. I believe that it mostly has to do with the ground, but there are other factors that are harder to figure. I used to operate mobile/portable from the Australian outback (mostly central and western Queensland). The ground there is generally very poor (low conductivity). I had a a 20 foot vertical fed via a tuner and an inverted V doublet. I would stop every night, camp, throw on the ground a few "radials" and the doublet over a tree.I operated, mostly on 80 and 40 meters. Different locations, with pretty much the same looking ground (dry dirt) gave very different results on the two antennas. Sometimes the doublet was better, sometimes the vertical, often both were either bad or good at the same time. Most of the time I could not pin-point the reason. Hill-top locations were not always the best. Near creeks or swamps, even from a valley, generally I got better results. But some of the best locations were totally unremarkable. I did this for more than 15 years, often visiting the same sites. There was a consistency: the good sites were good year after year and the bad ones stayed bad.
Go figure...
73,
George

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 15:19:58 -0600