Re: Topband: Which compromise receiving antenna

To: gregg.w6izt1@gmail.com, "'topband reflector'" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Which compromise receiving antenna
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 08:27:22 -0800

On 11/26/2018 7:48 AM, gregg.w6izt1@gmail.com wrote:
Pete:

I'm using RG6 for my beverages. They are switched, bidirectional.
Performance seems to be equivalent to a single wire beverage. They can also
be deployed as a BOG. RG6 is cheap, and I built my own transformers and
switches. If you suspect a problem, they can be checked out with an ohm
meter. Not sure why these have not caught on as folks continue to struggle
with ladderline and WD1. JK Antenna offers a commercial version as well.

73
Gregg
W6IZT

I construct reversible beverages made of aluminum wire by
simply running RG6 along the ground to the far end. (Not directly underneath, but offset 50 feet or so). Relay boxes at each end select the direction. What would be the advantage of suspending 100's of feet of RG6 above the ground as you have done, and going to the trouble of constructing hybrid transformers? RG6 doesn't lend itself to suspension. With my method, I only need simple 3:1 transformers.

73
Rick N6RK