Re: Topband: Vertical and horizontal polarized antennas

To: Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical and horizontal polarized antennas
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 10:06:57 -0800

On 11/17/2018 3:42 AM, Roger Kennedy wrote:

I think most people know I use a horizontal 160m Dipole as my main antenna .

But my 6ft Receiving Loop is vertically polarised . . . so it's quite

Roger G3YRO

Assuming you mean the loop is a 6 ft diameter circle,
you would typically have 0.1% efficiency (-30 dBi gain),
if it is TUNED, as opposed to being broadband.   It is
inconceivable that the loop would have more output than
your low dipole.  Does your loop include a preamp?  In
that case, then of course you could have more signal
after the preamp than the dipole.  But the comparison
would be meaningless because it would depend on the
gain of the preamp, which is an arbitrary number.

What you can do, however, is to use the receiving loop,
such as it is, as a reference antenna, and then reconfigure
your dipole as a top loaded vertical.  I think you will
then notice that the vertical is much better vs the loop
than the dipole was.  I have directly compared a 160
meter inverted vee with the apex at 60 feet, with a
60 foot high vertical having top loading wires that
sloped down (like the inverted vee wires).  The vertical
was easily 10 dB better.   YMMV.

73
Rick N6RK