Re: Topband: Bad Frequencies and Loop Pre-amps

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bad Frequencies and Loop Pre-amps
From: <n4is@n4is.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 08:57:08 -0500
The main issue with IMD is the passive IMD generated by oxidation between
two metal structures or wires. The IMD's on 1810,1820, 30 40 50 etc, most of
the time is irradiated on your own back yard from things like.

1- Aluminum copper oxidized contact.
2- Mast not grounded to the tower, it needs a flat cable to ground it, rotor
is not a grounding point.
3- Rust bolts on towers.
4- Bad overheated  BALUN on low band antennas.
5- House wires connected direct to diodes on security devices power supply,
like cameras or motion detectors.

I don't have any nearby IMD on 160m during the night. Sometimes a weak
signal come and go during  day time.

About the remote preamplifier, please don't believe on most project
construction pictures you see on internet using plastic box, open frame
relays, coaxial open at the end soldered on connectors.

The real issue here is to amplify only the signal received from the loop and
not add common mode noise from the cable, DC line, and the circuit itself if
not shielded with a good metal box. 2000 ft of cable is a good antenna even
if grounded 10 inches or more.

Choke is a "must" but does not fix everything. Balanced feed line does help
a lot, you can parallel to coaxial cable, ground the shield and use the two
center conductors. Like the center connector of two RG58 give you 100 ohms,
two RG8 150 ohms, then you need a good BALUN and lots of shield. Best is
unshielded twisted pair, no common mode ground.

No pain no gain!

73's
N4IS
JC