Re: Topband: News Video about VE1ZZ 1993

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: News Video about VE1ZZ 1993
From: jcraig@mun.ca
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 09:36:05 -0330 (NST)
Thanks Frank,

That brought back some memories of Jack.  He is certainly missed!

Jack had wealth of knowledge and expertise; it was always enjoyable to chat with him on CW and phone about homebrewing, propagation and DX. One time we were chasing a UA9 and it must have been luck - I got through
first. When Jack worked him a few calls later, he invited me down the band to
pat me on the back. I was very honoured. Another time I got UA0KAG Z19 and told Jack about it. That's a tough zone from this part of the continent and Jack needed it so I gave him the time/freq. He went on to get 19 and the remaining zones including 23 which was his last. He also put 334 countries in his top band log.

It was very rare that Jack didn't get the DX before every else did.

Jack was one of the first to span the Atlantic on 2200 metres. For this he built an amp with pair of 4-1000s. He also worked across the pond on the old 600m band before it evolved into 630m. We had a dozen QSO's on 504/507 kHz as he operated VX9PSO and VX9ZZZ. We didn't have a 2 way on 2200m but he reported my CW on 137.777 kHz several times.

Dispite his achievments on the air, his technical and DXing skill, he was humble, friendly and obliging. He will be sadly missed by many for a long time.

73,
Joe VO1NA