Re: Topband: Inv L in Tree

To: "Guy Olinger K2AV" <k2av.guy@gmail.com>, <navydude1962@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inv L in Tree
From: <chris@profile-technology.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 14:22:56 +0100
Hi Guy and Ed

STEALTH 80 METER ANTENNA

Just read your emails ref antenna wires in trees which I found interesting.

For some 14 years I was able to use an overhanging branch in a Scots pine in the land behind my garden (yard) to support both 160 meter and 80 meter systems at some 80 feet. When the land was sold recently the situation changed and I m now using a 50 foot Holly tree to provide for an 80 meter vertical.

My method has been to use a 40 foot fibre glass pole (mine is from from 'Spiderbeams' but any would work), I run a 66 foot wire into the pole with the remainder trailing from the larger end. I use a pulley system comprising thin marine line, pulleys and a small winch (driven by golf cart battery) relay controlled from the shack to raise the pole THROUGH the Holly tree so as to be a full quarter wave 80 meter vertical. The antenna is only raised to full height when required i.e. mainly from just before sunset to just after so covering grey line and night periods. I also use a FCP system as I have found this much more effective and easy to resonate than a mediocre radial system.

Even though the main radiating portion is within the tree this set up out performs, on DX, a low level sloped loop and works reasonably without being raised to full height.

I have found over some 45 years of holding a transmitting license that all you can do is your best and as Guy says 'muse and invent'.

Hope this note provides some ideas.

Best regards to you both and the Reflector group.

Chris G4BGM

-----Original Message----- From: Guy Olinger K2AV