Re: Topband: ZL and W6KIP?? back in the 60's?

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>, 160 <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ZL and W6KIP?? back in the 60's?
From: Dave Hollander <n7rk@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 16:53:02 -0700
Although I was on 160 in the late 1960's from Southern California as WB6NRK, I was lucky to work into the next call area with my homebrew 6L6 transmitter with two crystals, Gonset G-66 receiver and a Hy-Gain Hytower with no radials. Who needed radials when I had six ground rods?  LMAO. They still were having Transpacific DX tests back in 1969-1970 and I did actually manage to work a JA with my meager setup which I found hard to believe until I got his QSL from the bureau a year later.

My first ZL was Bob Tanner, ZL2BT who I worked in 1977 on SSB using a Swan 270 with a homebrew 160 meter transverter that I built myself.

In 1983, I visited ZL and spent a night at ZL2BT's farm in Palmerston North. His setup was amazing. Bob had set up a sked with good friend Otto W5YU (SK) who was 20 over 9 when he came on at ZL sunset and when I finished with Otto, worked around 50 more US station on SSB. What an experience that was. ZL2BT became an SK a few years after that and his call his been reissued.

Memories....

Dave N7RK

--
Dave Hollander N7RK