Topband: BOGs and dipoles on the ground

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: BOGs and dipoles on the ground
From: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 11:55:39 -0500
I may as well give you the results of my measurements with BOGs and dipoles on the ground. It seems to be a lot different from the data I am hearing from other people.

This experimentation started when I tried to correlate the current in a BOG as predicted by EZNEC to an actual measurement. The results were worlds apart. It seems the current on a BOG disappears much faster down the wire than NEC predicts. It really dissipates in a hurry as frequency as increased. If NEC can't correctly predict the current in the wire, it can't correctly predict the pattern.

So then I tried a dipole on the ground to try and estimate the velocity factor of that wire. The dipole was 119 ft total length (because that is what the length of the piece of wire I picked up was). I left that wire on the ground for a month and periodically measured it. The results were highly unpredictable, at least by NEC. I can only attribute this variablilty to ground moisture variation, although I never measured it right after a rain. To give you a feeling of the variability, here are the results of a few of the measurements.

1. F = 2.75 MHz, X = 0, R = 186 ohms,  also f = 6.25 MHz, X = 0, R = 522
2. F = 3.37 MHz, X = 0, R = 182, also close to resonance at frequencies above 8 MHz with R of about 440 ohms 3. F = 3.00 MHz, X = 0, R = 178 ohms, also F = 4.6 MHz, X = 0, R = 710 ohms, also F = 7.0 MHz, X= 0, R = 562 ohms'
4. F = 2.70 MHz, X = 0, R = 167 ohms, also F = 4.5 MHz, X = 0, R = 675 ohms

You won't be able to predict those numbers using NEC. NEC says the resonant frequency of this dipole should be about 2.8 MHz with R = 97 ohms. You can get some variation in that depend on the ground constants you select but you will never be able to come close to the measured data no matter what ground constants you choose. (Actual ground is typical Alabama red clay with dipole 1 to 1.5 inches above it.) You may be able to get NEC to give agreement to the feedpoint impedance at the lowest resonant frequency by selecting a ridiculous ground constant, but everything above that frequency will be way off. NEC says the impedance should rise rapidly above the resonant point and and there are no other resonant points until you get to about 9.1 MHz. So once again, like the BOG, NEC can't predict the pattern of this dipole on the ground. Degree of error is unknown.

Incidentally, N6LF's pattern for a BOG computed with NEC4 I was able to duplicate.using NEC2. So I have no confidence that NEC4 can predict the pattern of a BOG either.

So what to do? If I can't compute the pattern of a wire on the ground, the only thing left is measurements. I was also concerned with all the rules generated by other people for building BOGs because I know that data was generated from NEC analysis. I duplicated those rules by doing the same analysis. I also generated some new rules for improving BOGs generated from NEC but when I implemented that and made actual measurements, there was no improvement. Thankfully I measured the results before publishing those rules.

So I set up an experiment using a 366 ft BOG and a 250 ft BOG both pointed in the same direction (to EU) I spent a month taking data on signals from all directions, both close stations and DX stations, and compiling the differences in performance between the two.

A brief summary of these two antennas was that the forward gain of both was the same and the front to back was the same, at least within a degree of accuracy that made any practical difference. (It was not measurable.) That was the same on 80 and 160. The forward pattern of the shorter BOG was wider so the response at 90 degrees off forward was stronger. The response for high angle signals was greater for the short BOG. The shorted BOG has a wider front lobe both in the azimuth and elevation directions. The response at 120 degrees off forward was greater for the long BOG. That means the resulting signal to noise ratio should depend on where the noise sources are located. In general with low noise sources, which is usually the case at my location, there was no detectable difference between the two. Both of these antennas played well on 80 and 160. The shorter antenna was better on 40.

If you do a NEC analysis of 250 and 366 ft BOGs, the beamwidth difference between the two will be as I measured, although the degree of difference may or may not be the same. I didn't try to make an actual dB difference measurement, which is very difficult with over the air signals. I also can't speculate the error in pattern produced by NEC when it has big errors in the current in the wire.

I also don't believe the RDF number for a BOG produced by NEC. I can get an RDF for about 11 for a 366 ft BOG. A BOG is a good antenna but it's not that good. Many years ago I chose 366 ft based on a NEC analysis and it has worked well. I will arrive at a better RDF for a 366 ft BOG later but based on crude measurements (comparison with my EWE array), I'm estimating it's probably between 9.5 and 10. NEC shows that a 366 ft BOG has 2 dB better RDF than a 250 ft BOG. I don't believe that either (based on measurements).

An interesting observation was that the 366 ft BOG self terminated at about 4.5 MHz and the 250 ft BOG self terminated at about 5 MHz. The antennas were still usable at higher frequencies but probably not as good as they could be if they were shorter (not tested).

I have done some testing with reversible BOGs also, but all the data above is for a single direction BOG.

I also compared the performance of these BOGs to my phased EWE array. The EWEs have a better S/N but not by a huge amount. Pattern for the EWEs is much cleaner with much deeper nulls. Incidentally, I just modified my 4 direction EWE array to 8 directions and it will be interesting to see how that performs this winter.

Jerry, K4SAV