Topband: Several BOG questions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Several BOG questions
From: Mikek <amdx@knology.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 12:06:12 -0500
 I have installed a 253ft Bog,
 I used WD-1A a pair and just twisted the two wires together.

Any reason I should separate the pair and just use a single wire?

Can the WD-1A be used for a Bi-directional BOG, or is the spacing too close?

I have installed a variable termination on the North end of the BOG and a matching transformer on the South end, for receiving from the north. I'm in the Florida panhandle about 1 mile from the gulf.

 I'm a little disappointed that the Variable termination does not have much effect between 200 ohms and 1300 ohms.  I use AM Band stations as a guide to the directionality of the BOG and it does seem to have good directionality, just no noticeable difference while adjusting the termination. It is also quiet when compared to a 150ft long wire.

In an effort to make the antenna seem 'apparently' longer I have loaded the BOG with 9 ferrite binocular cores.
Using info from W8JI's page,
https://www.w8ji.com/slinky_and_loaded_beverages.htm
I originally measured my Velocity Factor as .78 and by installing the cores I was shooting for a VF of .55

 I made a single pass through a single hole in the binocular core.
A single pass through a single hole in the binocular core is about 8.9uh. My calculation said I needed 11.8uh, but I installed all the cores I had and ended up with a VF of .67, lower but... when I get more cores
I'll install them and test VF again.

 Your thoughts?

I have measured my ground rod resistance using the method on page 24 of the this pdf.

www.weschler.com/_upload/sitepdfs/techref/gettingdowntoearth.pdf

 I got 117 ohms on both ends, I bought some calcium chloride and put 2.5 lbs into and around my 3 copper pipe rods. I pre-drilled the rods every 3" to allow the solution to distribute more evenly around the pipes. (5ft rods/pipes) I did this at one end. A day later I retested the ground rod resistance, and it was 73 ohms, some improvement,
and another couple days I remeasured and it was down to 60 ohms.
 A week later I added more Calcium chloride and I'm at 34 ohms now.
 I just finished retesting ground resistance, North end 34 ohms, South end 23 ohms.

Is the method in the pdf article a reasonable way to measure ground resistance?  I used 60 hz, because it's available. My last test used ~ 25V and supplied 600 mA.  I have no other AC source at a different frequency that would apply that much power.

I bought a 74AC14 TDR and used it to measure the characteristic impedance and VF.

I measured the Characteristic Impedance, which I then use to calculate the matching transformer.
Does the ground resistance show as part of the Characteristic Impedance?
ie. If my ground was 117 ohms and I treated it and it is now 23 ohms, will my Characteristic Impedance,
impedance drop by 94 ohms?

I measured my Characteristic Impedance as 358 ohms before Binocular core installation,
and measured 501 ohms after Binocular core installation.

 OK guys, this is my first post, there are a few questions, I hope to get some help on this project. btw, I did make a video showing how it compares to my long wire antenna using AM band stations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuMwGDK6IhQ&t=51s
                    Thanks, Mike Knowlton