Topband: RX antennas 1 + 1 = 5

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: RX antennas 1 + 1 = 5
From: Mikek <amdx@knology.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 13:08:25 -0500
On 8/4/2018 9:08 PM, Mikek wrote:
 Hi JC,
 I have just recently put in a BOG.
 But before I installed the BOG, I ran my 240 feet of coaxial feedline
out to where I expected to put my BOG transformer.
I terminated the coax and connected the other end to my radio. I started
logging S units and frequency of all the AM stations I received.
 I had about 13 stations with as high as 5.5 S units. I tried chokes and transformers
and grounds without much reduction.
 Then I ran a piece of twisted speaker wire out to the same position and terminated it.  This had only 4 stations, 3 were at Zero S units but audible and one ran close to 1 S unit.
The speaker wire is clearly the winner.
 I may have done several things wrong. The speaker wire runs within 6" of a chain link fence for about 60 feet, it is on the ground the whole distance, it is probably pvc insulation.  But I now have it connected to a 253ft BOG and it seems to be working well compared to my 150 ft long wire. I test it on AM band stations and it is clearly the better antenna,
it has a better Signal to Noise on almost every station.
                                 Mikek