Re: Topband: KH1/KH7Z was a tough go

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: KH1/KH7Z was a tough go
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 08:22:31 -0700
My friend Larry's station makes them all easy :-)

I have an inverted-l, 55' of it vertical, the rest horizontal, with twenty 55' radials.  Used on both TX and RX.  I first worked KH1/KH7Z on topband on June 27 @1134Z, the beginning of my sunrise.  They were weak and we completed a marginal contact.  Ten minutes later they were much stronger and very Q5.  I contemplated a second "insurance" contact but didn't want to be a hog.  A couple of evenings later, I did make my insurance contact on 6/29 @ 0618Z, their sunset.  They had an excellent signal at that time.

I have a coax-fed 80-40 parallel wire inverted-vee only 45' high at the middle and worked them on 80 CW and 40 SSB.  They were strong on 40 CW the first night but the JA pile was huge and I figured I'd work them later.  Never happened.  I worked them twice on 20 CW.  The first time they busted my call; I corrected them and they confirmed but I'll bet the log didn't get changed.  When I didn't show in Clublog I worked them again.  I use a tuner in the shack to make the 80-40 antenna work 30 where I worked them just before they quit.  Made one QSO on 15 CW plus CW, SSB and FT8 QSOs on 20 and 17.  Eleven slots all together, but I'd trade them all for one SV/A QSO.

Wes  N7WS