Re: Topband: Beverage Antenna Tuning

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Antenna Tuning
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 14:00:33 -0400 (EDT)
Hello Ash,

Your results are normal for a typical Beverage. Receiving performance
is not significantly degraded by imperfect matching of the coaxial feedline
to the Beverage feed point or by non-optimum termination resistance.

You could optimize your matching transformer and termination resistor
but the improvement in receiving performance will be very minor.

On the other hand, Beverage antenna r eceiving performance can be
significantly degraded by:
- nearby antennas, power lines and other long conductors, and
- common mode signals coupled into the feedline

You could optimize your matching transformer to reduce the VSWR to
closer to 1:1 on the frequencies you care about most, but you won't
notice any improvement in receiving performance.

You could optimize your Beverage termination by:
- adding extra ground rods and/or short radials to improve ground resistance
stability at the connection to termination resistor.
- adjusting the termination resistance to minimize the VSWR excursion
as you sweep from 1.5 to about 10 MHz

73
Frank
W3LPL