Topband: Wednesday Activity night

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Wednesday Activity night
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 19:46:54 +0100
Yes conditions were pretty good on Wednesday Dave . . . yet I only
heard/worked 6 North American stations!

So it's a shame there wasn't more activity. (it was great a few weeks ago,
when we were getting 40 - 50 stations on the band)

I know it's getting towards the end of the "season" . . . but hopefully it's
worth having a few more of the Wednesday Activity Nights . . . so come on
guys!

Roger G3YRO
I thought that conditions on Wednesday evening were pretty darn good at
times, but some strange things were going on.  Roger G3YRO, was good
copy running between S7 and S9, which is a great signal. I think the K3
was showing S3 with background noise.  I noted that the RBN was
providing some pretty loud spots from Europe around  0100 UT and much
weaker spots after 0200 UT, and then nothing later on.  I also worked
G3JMJ with loud signals. I really enjoyed the fact that any T-storm
noise was not too loud. I can deal with 10-20 dB but 40 to 50 dB crashes
cause me to spill my drink every time.  I have been trying to evaluate
my enlarged Europe beverage. It was put together at the end of the DX
season for most folks and activity is way down.  I am thinking that it
is working great. I am combining two rather long wires that are spaced
380 feet apart. The separate feed lines are combined in an NCC-1 phasing
box. Either antenna when added to the other causes a slight increase in
noise. The addition is the same for either wire. I can null most signals
and then add 180 degrees and the signals get really loud.  Over the last
few weeks I must say that signals from Europe have been better than
normal for me. That is a good sign. It is so hard to evaluate antennas
without a reference.

73

Dave K1WHS