Re: Topband: Conditions on 160m for ARRL Contest

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Conditions on 160m for ARRL Contest
From: Paul Mclaren <paul.mcl@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:29:39 +0000
I am very new on top band and only managed a handful of big guns on the
east coast on Friday night so can't really compare.  I did receive a
message from the GM5A team who were on a beach with big verticals facing NA
over saltwater and they managed 143 q's into 30 states on the Friday night.
  Unfortunately we can't all live on a beach.

Regards

Paul MM0ZBH

On Monday, 19 February 2018, Ian Fugler <zen90387@zen.co.uk> wrote:
> Roger
>
> I think the beacons towards the bottom of the band are fishing nets (drift
> nets) in eastern Europe/Asia.  They are VERY loud on my east beverage.  I
> use 1812.60 to call CQ because that falls nicely in between the fishing
net
> signals.
>
> I only had a quick listen this weekend on 160m and agree that condx seemed
> well down compared with the days running up to ARRL DX.
>
> 73,
>
> Ian G4IIY

even
> though I heard a couple of Southern Europe stations working a few.
>
> Saturday night conditions were better, but signals were well down on what
> they have been for the past few weeks.
>
> However, in the 3 hours I spent on the band (at different times in the
> night) I did manage to work 61 American stations . . . including a few in
> Brazil and the Caribbean.
>
> For future reference, here in Britain there are about 6 Navigation Beacons
> between 1810 and 1818 kHz (they sound like the old Decca HiFix) . . .
these