Re: Topband: High voltage insulator

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: High voltage insulator
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 21:41:22 -0800
Hi Ray,

I have a 55ft tall aluminum tubing vertical for 160 meters which is center loaded with an inductor and top loaded with 4 sloping wires. At the top of the tubing vertical I have a yard arm made of a piece of aluminum angle stock that holds up a pulley which is offset ~18" from the aluminum tubing vertical. From that pulley I am suspending a wire vertical for 80 meters in parallel with the 160 meter vertical. Since my 160 meter vertical is only 55 ft tall, the last 10 ft or so of the 80 meter wire bends down at the pulley level at an ~45 degree angle.

I am just using standard ~2" long plastic (or perhaps they are porcelain - I forget) end insulators at the 55ft level  (the rope going thru the pulley attaches to the insulator supporting the wire at the 55 ft level) and on the end of the ~66 ft long wire. I have never had any problems with these insulators failing when running 1500 watts into this wire vertical.

Have you tried leaving the base of the 160 meter vertical open instead of shorted? I use an Ameritron RCS-4 at the base of my vertical to switch from the 160 meter tubing portion to the 80 meter wire portion. The RCS-4 leaves the unused ports open so the base of the 160 meter tubing vertical floats when I am 80 meters and vice versa.

If your 160 meter vertical  looks like an ~1/2 wavelength on 80 meters, shorting its base may cause the mutually coupled RF from the wire to induce a high RF voltage in the tubing near the end of the 80 meter wire (it might be worth trying to model this in EZNEC).  In the absence of some sort of mutual coupling like that, the voltage at the end of a 1/4 wave wire vertical shouldn't be any worse than the voltage near the end of an 80 meter 1/2 wave dipole and I have never had problems using those standard ~2" long plastic or porcelain dipole end insulators on 80 meter wire antennas when running legal limit. Of course, I should say that I am only at a moderate altitude (~2700 ft ASL) and far away from ocean salt spray.

I hope this helps.

73, Mike W4EF...............