Re: Topband: Looking for experience with DHDL

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Looking for experience with DHDL
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 09:32:50 -0500
Rick,

I built two DHDL-s last week for the 160 m contest from C6AGU. One was pointed towards EU and the other one towards NA/JA. The EU one was longer at 19 m vs. 16 m for the NA one. The two antennas behaved quite differently, with the EU one being excellent and the NA one very mediocre. I was surprised because I have had two similar DHDL-s in November in the same spots. They were both 16 m long and 6 m high, and they were both very good. But, I "tuned" those antennas by adjusting the loading resistors for the lowest signal from the back. I did not do that for the new antennas. I think that adjusting the loading resistors is more important than the transformer. Interestingly, with the two identical antennas, I got two different resistor values. One was 1200 Ohms while the other one was 1000 Ohms. Perhaps the ground below them was different. (One was closer to the water than the other.)
George,
AA7JV

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 19:19:59 -0800