Re: Topband: Adding a parasitic reflector to a vertical

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Adding a parasitic reflector to a vertical
From: W7RH <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 20:38:33 -0800
I've played with parasitic elements in antenna arrays for almost three decades and the current antenna system I have used parasitic elements both director and reflectors.

With very careful tuning performance that of a all driven array can be achieved. Tree is correct they due tend to be somewhat limited in in bandwidth with relation to F/B ratio. Gain remains fairly constant.

The tuning procedure that Tree suggested is absolutely correct. You detune all unused elements and adjust the center frequency of the parasitic for best F/B one element at a time. Parasitic elements I might add are no different than driven and must have extensive ground system to be effective. No exceptions. You know you have right by F/B ratio. You can go one step further and measure the actual antenna currents which I have done. In my system the parasitic elements achieve 80-85% of the theoretical current at the base.

de Bob W7RH

--
W7RH DM35OS

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Albert Einstein