Topband: thr rest of the n7df story

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: thr rest of the n7df story
From: N7DF via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 16:18:35 +0000 (UTC)
 In my younger days I was anavid contester and especially welcomed the
challengeof 160 meters   This was mostly the     result of acquiringseveral
Collins   273W-1X antennas on a military surplus sale  which proved to be
outstanding low  band    antennas after some minor modifications    Over the
years I accumulated   towers and antennas to put together a serious   contest
station  But my military   assignments prevented anything permanentuntil my
retirement  I found a nice   little   acreage in the Sacramento Mountains
ofsouth central New Mexico but it   unfortunatelyhad a lot of RFI from a 1950s
era     power grid     Even so I put up   some antennas   and  got on the air
After my brother K0HGW joined me in  retirement we    bought a 140 acre tract
of landin the     Tularosa Basin that was   4 miles from the nearest power
lines  The RFI noise   level was essentially zero and   we  startedbuilding our
contest station   Weinstalled one of the Collins antennas   and a 3
wavelength  beverage aimed at Europe  Then I had a stroke and my   brother was
killed in a car wreck and thatended the    contest station antenna
building     I partially recovered from the stroke but haveresigned myself to
just   entering CW     contests  since I now have a speechimpediment from the
stroke       In fact my  neurologist tells me that this is very good     for my
recovery from the stroke       Ispend most of my time on 160 with one of the
Collins antennas from   my QTH in the     mountains      Ihave been trying to
get around the noise problems   with a lot of cooperation from the
electriccooperative     and various types of receiving arrays but it still gets
up over S9a lot of the time           OK  -  so the   reason for this
narrative is that I haveseveral towers and antennas that would   makea pretty
respectable contest station and I am willing    to donate them to any
groupthat will come get them  and put them touse  This includes two of the
Collins antennas that    are worth $30,000 each        Ifanyone is interested
they can    contactme at n7df@yahoo.com for details