Re: Topband: Mixed elevated and ground located radials?

To: Gary@ka1j.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Mixed elevated and ground located radials?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:02:13 -0800
Radials need to be elevated and insulated from ground/earth or on the ground and grounded. I tried a modeling exercise to see if a ground screen under elevated radials would improve efficiency but it wasn't very helpful. Even over salt water, it is better to insulate elevated radials or place them in the salt water at the surface, not both. While salt water is about 1000 times more conductive than "average ground", copper is about a ten million times more conductive than salt water and then RF penetration is shallow.

I use 8 ten foot elevated 125' radials for 160m, pretty much symmetric. Because of proximity of a couple of the elevated radials to steel structures (tower and steel building) the measured currents are significantly unequal, higher towards the steel structures. The conventional wisdom strongly recommends equal radial currents but the analysis of why seems thin. Calculations show negligible loss from I^2 differences. So I modeled very unbalanced radial patterns and found only a db or two of pattern asymmetry. Also, how one would get currents more equal in my situation is a mystery to me, as well as how to model radial fields with known current imbalance without introducing loss. Still seeking advice on these matters, although the unbalanced geometry modeling makes it less of a concern. see Rudy Severns work antennasbyn6lf.com.

Your peak gain angle is more affected by the wider area far field ground conductivity, whereas antenna efficiency/gain is more dependent on the radial system and ground conductivity out to 1/2 wavelength. For verticals within 3/4 wavelength or over salt water, the peak gain angle gets within a few degrees to the horizon. Even with 2 tuned elevated radials. see my article "Verticals on the Beach" QST June 2016. If your marsh is salt water, you have high gain low angle propagation in that direction, although at a sacrifice of gain in the opposite direction. If it is a fresh water march, then it might be better or worse than "average ground" depending on the chemistry/conductivity.

Grant KZ1W