Re: Topband: sdrWEB not going in my log

To: Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@ieee.org>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: sdrWEB not going in my log
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 10:18:12 -0800 (PST)
Hi Nick and the group,

Nick, I was running a KW to my inv-V at 100'. Far as I know they don't use
SDR's. It was an interesting experiment and later around 08:00Z I did manage to
work G4AMN, EI6S and G4PEL direct. It amazed me how strong some of the stations
were in Europe and how hard they were to hear on the west coast. But of course
that is the problem with working Europe from Oregon. They were loud like we
hear the W6's, W7's, etc. I did hear OK2,OE3,DL,YT1AA and others that would be
new countries for me on 80, not to mention 160 meters of course. But I'm just
too stuck in my ways I guess to change.

Do you suppose the last T-Rex to die wished he was a ground squirrel?

This morning I got up and smiled that I did not put the contacts in my log that
required the SDR. That's my way of staying true to what I feel my DXCC should
be done. I'm not really that big on wall paper as some refer to it, but after
having spent 40 years chasing DX on ham radio and before that BCB and SWL, I
feel some pride in those DXCC's on my wall. Same way with some of the contest
ones.

DXCC is what you make it. I just hope the commercial interest at the ARRL don't
ruin it. Ever try to find technical articles on their webpage. I don't think
you can anymore without buying their DVD's or some other way of getting more
money.

Terry
KI7M