Topband: Sunrise and Signals

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Sunrise and Signals
From: "aa0rs" <aa0rs@freng.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 08:58:29 -0700
Colorado: This morning I started calling CQ around 0550 local (12:50Z) time
and managed to work a few JA stations, HL5IVL was also around, all signals
were 4x5, rapid QSB was again prevalent.

I opened up the DXMaps website to see what others were hearing and saw that
JA1LZR had logged my signals over a period of nearly an hour as follows:

3dB @ 1320 Z

6dB @ 1332

5dB @ 1346

16dB @ 1359

17dB @ 0712

The very rapid signal rise at his end shows there was significant signal
enhancement which was not reciprocated at my end, what few stations were
audible were well down in the noise. Unfortunately I did not see any further
spots despite continuing to call CQ for another 30 minutes into broad
daylight, I would have liked to have seen how quickly signals decreased, the
signal path was shown as just over 9km.

Interestingly, KH6LC had also provided spots over the same period which
showed a signal variation of 6,8,7,6dB  on a path length of 5km , he is just
South of West from here, JA is NW. Several spots from W6/W7 stations showed
a decrease of 1 to 3 dB over the same period.

73 to all.

Dave AA0RS