Re: Topband: ARRL 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 10:33:36 -0700
Shh.  You're giving away my secrets.

Wes  N7WS

On 12/7/2017 10:07 AM, marsh@ka5m.net wrote:
I respectfully disagree with Don Kirk. My experience has been different. I
don't how many pileups I've broken quickly - where the station I'm trying to
work is operating simplex - by going split and transmitting a few Hz above
or below "zero beat". The operator at the other end is trying to copy a
callsign, and if everybody is "zero beat" it makes it very difficult to copy
anybody. Anything you can do to make your signal "stand out" or
differentiate it from the crowd makes it easier for the station you're
trying to work. (Also speeding up or slowing down a few WPM sometimes
helps.)

Someone taught me this a long time ago, and it works. He's worked a lot of
good DX in the last sixty (60) years or so.

73,
Marsh, KA5M