Re: Topband: FT8 discussion

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 discussion
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 05:54:24 -0600
Actually the problem with the alleged QRM and FT8 is more about simply
identifying ham computerized modes of digital transmission and
reception and separating them out from the rest of the noise generated
by poorly filtered appliances, leaky cable TV, power line data
communications etc.  I am evidently a troglodyte who does not have a
computer in the shack and I refuse to run one for no reason other than
to be able to demodulate and identify ham digital signals.  I believe
the onus is on the digital mode operator to make his emissions
identifiable as ham radio to others, who like me, may be operating
analog equipment capable of demodulating common basic transmission
modes such as analog phone, and CW keyed with radiotelegraph code.

What I'm getting at is that a big mistake was made in the 1980s with
the CW ID requirement for RTTY and SSTV was dropped to convenience
those operators.  It was burdensome then, but SSTV and Baudot RTTY was
pretty easy to ID (although you couldn't tell a ham station from an
intruder).  Now, with seemingly zillion digital computer modes, it's
impossible for someone like me to tell a licensed ham from an
intruder, or a variable speed furnace motor.    Ironically, an
automatic fast CW ID at the end of each transmission would be easy to
encode in a computer and implement, and it would not be disruptive
since the transmission is ending anyway.  It's time for FCC to
reinstate the CW ID requirement.  Until then, my default is to assume
any emission I cannot identify, to be either an intruder, or noise
from an appliance and carry on accordingly.

73

Rob
K5UJ