Re: Topband: CQ WW CW 160m observations

To: MR TREVOR DUNNE <ei2glb@eircom.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ WW CW 160m observations
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:29:29 -0500
One thing that occurred to me reading this and parallel threads, is that
the path was really high angle. Possibly high enough to be well into the
"doughnut hole" high angle null of a "pure" vertical. The presumption is
that the DX is always, always, always, no exceptions, coming through at low
angles. What if not. Then the listening antennas with common acceptance of
high angle signals would hear, but the transmit signal would be
significantly disadvantaged by a pattern with ONLY low angle radiation.
Would seem as if was one-way transmission if the general path loss was poor

Perhaps that's a point where a favorably oriented inverted L with a
significant horizontal section would have an advantage.

It's possible that a high angle path happens often enough, but a better
signal in an RX antenna than the TX would be an expected outcome regardless
and not a clue to high angle arrival. The real clue would be hearing well
enough on RX antenna, but not being able to break through going back.

73, Guy.