Topband: 160m magnetic loop for receive

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m magnetic loop for receive
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 10:04:26 -0000
Hi John

I built a 6ft diameter 4-turn 160m receiving loop a few weeks ago - did you
see my write-up on qrz.com?

It's installed up in my loft, pointing E-W, and is varicap tuned (sending DC
down the coax)

It works really well on DX - I've worked about 100 North and South American
stations using it.

Roger G3YRO

I have completed my magnetic loop and it consists of a 1t primary and a 3t
secondary inside a large hula loop 42" dia and wound with the same sense.
The primary has a capacitor in series with the winding, which then connects
to a binocular transformer ( common noise choke and isolation ), the other
side of which connects to the coax feed point. The secondary has a 250/250pf
airspaced variable cap across it but with another cap in series with the
winding to resonate it on topband. On the desk, it works very well on rx,
considering the indoor noise enviroment and the next step is to get it up on
a pole at the bottom of the garden.
The nights are lonely on topband in the UK, with some same old same stations
heard. Where is the DX heard, ANYWHERE EXCEPTING IN THE UK IT SEEMS. Sofar 4
stations worked on 1850 QRO.

73John -M0ELS