Topband: Good long path opening from VK6 to NA

To: "Topband reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Good long path opening from VK6 to NA
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 15:51:31 +0800
G’day

It has been a pretty poor season here so far, with conditions after VK6 sunset
into North America at/before sunrise well down on last year. However, this
morning the band opened well into eastern North America.

Jeff VY2ZM was 569 at 2100Z (14 minutes before sunrise here) peaking a couple
of minutes after my sunrise at 599, during our QSO.

After a internet message from John W1FV (MA) to try for a QSO, we worked easily
– after a number of years of trying – at 2127Z with reports of 559 both ways.
At the end of the QSO John peaked 589 and I was then QSOed by Roger N1RJ (ME)
56-79 and Dick W1ZC (NH) 579.

Long path QSOs with the USA on 160m only occur rarely from here – I’ve had
about 15 in 22 years – but really get the adrenaline going when they occur.
This was a really good opening – and the A Index was 32 and the K index 6.

What a strange band is the topband!

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ

---