Topband: VK9MA - Mellish Reef - TopBand

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: VK9MA - Mellish Reef - TopBand
From: Brian Moran via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 22:34:14 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Everyone:
All of the members of VK9MA Mellish Reef DXpedition have arrived in Cairns.
Some of us have already been here for nearly a week in preparation.  The
four-day boat journey starts on Tuesday. Current plans say we land on the reef
November 3, which is November 4 for us. We will strive to be on 160 meters by
day 2 -- we have a number of directional receive antennas receive antennas to
erect, and a couple of choices of verticals, depending on the conditions when
we get there.  We'll be trying hard to get people into the logs, which will be
uploaded at periodic intervals to Club Log. You can check out the VK9MA website
http://vk9ma.com for more details. A number of our operators our experienced
with the unique characteristics of 160M, and we have pilots that will help
inform our operating choices. Mellish is very much 'needed' on digital, so
we'll also be trying some of that, yes, even on 160m. If 160m really 'opens'
however, we'll strive to use the modes offering the highest rates.
73, hope to hear some familiar calls over the noise of the wind and the
birds!-Brian N9ADG