Re: Topband: A way forward to keep 'old school' modes vibrant alongside

To: Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A way forward to keep 'old school' modes vibrant alongside FT-8? (long)
From: Mark K3MSB <mark.k3msb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 13:27:54 -0400
You can’t retract any awards,  and I don’t believe you even have to worry
about that.

Let’s say you have 150 Confirmed on 160M right now using a combination of
SSB, CW, FT8 etc.   The current single band award would not change – it’s
“Mixed” by default.   I would envision 3 new awards to come into existence
--  160M-SSB,  160M-CW, and 160M-FT8.

As I mentioned before,  once you have the software written for one mode
specific band award (ex:  160M-CW),  then it’s a simple extension to add
–SSB, -FT8, -AM, -PSK31, -Digital etc  (unless you really bolloxed up the
architectural stage of the software design).      The ability to easily add
new band/mode combinations will be essential to facilitate new modes that
will be available in the future.    Like I posted before, it’s not rocket
science to get this done.

73 Mark K3MSB