Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing? (long)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing? (long)
From: Mike DeChristopher <mfdechristopher@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 12:06:19 -0400
I represent the under 30 crowd (for another few years at least) who
isn't really into JT65, FT8, etc.. I still prefer the "between the
ears" -modes. However, I see the JT and other weak signal modes
emerging as a response to real estate limits and restrictions. I was
lucky in that I had space and tolerant parents growing up, so I could
do these things as a kid. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be
involved in ham radio right now.

If using a digital mode keeps someone involved in ham radio or
generates new interest, then I'm all for it. My DXCC hangs in my own
shack; it means nothing to anyone but me -- and the same is true of
all of yours. If these modes "aren't ham radio" to you, don't use
them. But understand that they're bringing a lot of new activity to
the bands, and especially the low bands; let them have their hobby
without squawking about *your* hobby.

Anyway, there should be plenty of "between the ears" action this
weekend. I believe there's some type of operating event going on.
*smirk*

Mike, N1TA