Re: Topband: Top Band and JT65

To: Mark K3MSB <mark.k3msb@gmail.com>, Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Top Band and JT65
From: "k8bhz@alphacomm.net" <k8bhz@alphacomm.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 16:47:21 -0400
Very well said Mark, thank you.

Brian K8BHZ

On 5/21/2017 4:29 PM, Mark K3MSB wrote:

The issue is not one of any mode being more "valid" that the other, nor is it one of a QSO being "valid" or "invalid" based upon the mode. If a two way exchange is completed between two legally licensed amateur stations using lawfully authorized modes, the QSO is valid. I think it's that simple.

But that's not what I had brought up in my post of several days ago. The issue I brought up is that of a level playing field for competition / award purposes.

Modes that require a computer to effect a QSO should be in a different category than modes that do not. By "require" I do not mean "make easier", but rather could not be accomplished without a computer. My ICOM makes a QSO easier than my ARC-5s, but both still need a human's skill to complete the QSO. Stated alternately, modes that requires a human skill should be categorized differently than those that do not -- and by human skill I do not mean downloading software and pushing buttons. As someone pointed out, the DXCC rules are not part of the 10 commandments. It is my opinion that technology has reached a new level in which the rules need to be changed to accommodate that level.

The same is true of remote operations. I can whip out my credit card and use a station on the west coat and get my 5 remaining zones on 80 to complete my 5BWAZ. I will not do that as I feel it is unsportsmanlike to do so. Are the QSOs legal as per the rules? Yes (unless CQ has changed them recently). But, to my way of thinking, the journey is an important part of getting to the destination.

This issue is not about validating someone's worth as a "real amateur" (no code, know code, extra light etc), but rather recognizing that human skill in achieving a goal should be treated differently than letting a computer alone achieve the same goal that requires no such skill.

There is nothing wrong with the JT modes; they are a wonderful advancement in communications technology in the spirit of the advancement of amateur radio. But in the light of competition based upon human striving and skill, they are in a different category. They are not good or bad, they are not valid or invalid; they are just different. Technology has moved on to the point where the existing rules need to be changed.

Mark K3MSB