Re: Topband: JT65 on 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: JT65 on 160
From: Mike DeChristopher <mfdechristopher@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 13:07:23 -0400
Hi all,

One of the locals here is very into the JT -modes, almost exclusively
on topband. He uses 100W into a single Inv-L with two 1/4-wave radials
and nothing for RX. I think he's about halfway to 160 DXCC in a
calendar year and reports working everything he hears barefoot -- but
again, no RX antenna, so insert appropriately-sized grain of salt.

As he is a college student, he is in a similar situation to the
rapidly growing number of hams with very little space and a rented QTH
or other restrictions. It is refreshing to see that particular
community excited about 160 and actively innovating -- even if it
creates a [hopefully temporary] gator or two along the way.

The JT modes, especially WSPR, actually prove useful for us contesters
as well. In the weeks leading up to the event, they can give very
accurate and station-specific data similar to the RBN, but
occasionally in greater numbers on 160. I used WSPR for that purpose
ahead of most majors, but those digital modes make my old MP's smell
funny these days.

73
Mike N1TA