Topband: Dallas Lankford antennas & other circuits

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Dallas Lankford antennas & other circuits
From: Ralph Matheny K8RYU <mathenyr@marietta.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 15:12:42 -0500 (EST)

Yes, the Dallas Lankford antennas work...I've found his ideas to
be very helpful.

Keep in mind that most of the advantage to all the "small"
rx antennas comes from keeping the power line from being
coupled into the antenna via the ground connection.  The
transformers and "braid breakers" are VERY valuable and easy to
make.

Without my RX antennas I could not hear anything on 160 or
80 except for the very biggest of signals.

I have also found that I can't have too many antenna options.
I have a small K9AY (half the size of the original) and several wires
laying on the ground with simple transformers to keep the power line
crud out of the system.  There is no simple formula to use to select
the best one for a given signal.....I have switch which lets me cycle
thru all the K9AY directions and then the other "wires".

I live in town, but am lucky to have a wooded area owned by a
friendly neighbor.

de K8RYU