Re: Topband: Beverage Feed-line Noise Pickup

To: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>, Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Feed-line Noise Pickup
From: Arthur Delibert <radio75a3@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 03:24:30 +0000
Herb --

I don't have Beverages, but rather pennant antennas.  I think we have potential
problems at both ends of the feedline and need protection at both ends.  I use
Fair-Rite 31-material snap-on cores at both ends, and there's a noticeable
difference in the noise level if I remove either one.

I suggest you check out "A Ham's Guide to RFI, Ferrites, Baluns, and Audio
Interfacing," by Jim Brown, K9YC, which can be found at
http://www.k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf.  I found it very helpful in understanding that
problem and others, and have been able to do a lot to reduce the amount of
locally-generated noise that finds its way into the shack.

Hope this helps.

Art Delibert

KB3FJO