Re: Topband: Epsom salts & Rx Antennas

To: "Gary@ka1j.com" <Gary@ka1j.com>, "Topband@contesting.com" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Epsom salts & Rx Antennas
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 04:38:24 +0000
Hello Gary and Top-Banders,
  Gary, I would be more inclined to think in your case you would be better off
with some radials laid out on each vertical the same way. Short verticals no
longer than the element height should help more than trying to influence the
ground conditions. Each vertical must have the radials laid out very closely to
the same way. Maybe 8 to 10 radials should make a decent ground for the high
impedance elements.
Lee K7TJR  OR

The earlier discussion about Epsom Salts and Beverage grounds got me to
thinking about my active antennas and if it might be helpful for my situation.

I have 8 antennas (the Hi-Z Pro 8
element), the base of these acts as the ground rod. The soil conditions I had
to put the bases in are markedly different from one another. Some of the bases
are definitely in good soil but several of them are in such impossibly rocky
ground that it took dozens of tries to get the rod 2' deep & with that, they
were surrounded by stones from the top, down and there's very little soil
around them.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a poor
location for active antennas like these and used something like Epsom salts to
help get a better ground.

If so, did it help you & how did you find it helped?

How did you apply it?

Thanks & 73,

Gary
KA1J