Topband: 160 M Inverted 'L'

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 M Inverted 'L'
From: "Tom Boucher" <tomg3olb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 11:39:57 -0000
Folks,

You don’t need expensive vacuum capacitors or bread slicers/toast racks to
match your 160 metre ‘L’. I use a low pass L-network consisting of 0.95
microhenrys in series and 1600 pF in parallel with the coax.

The inductor is not real and is made by slightly extending the length of the
antenna, which is 90 ft up and 46 ft horizontal.

The 1600 pF cap is made up of several high voltage 6.3 KV disc multilayer
ceramic capacitors in parallel. These are readily available and cost 2 or 3 GBP
each from CPC/Farnell (CA05041 series made by Murata). I have been using this
arrangement for some ten years at significant power levels without any failures.

73,
Tom G3OLB