Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 166, Issue 5

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 166, Issue 5
From: Larry via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 20:55:04 -0400
I disagree.

The inverted Vee, specifically, transmits vertically polarized
RF and has about the same gain as a 1/8 wave tee top ground plane
vertical, if EZNEC is to be believed.  Inverted Vees can also be
arranged in arrays.  They are useful DX antennas;  I got a 559 signal
report from a Dutch station early Sunday morning while running 700 watts
into an inverted Vee with the apex at about 55'. Note that my QTH is on
the west side of the Blue Ridge mountains.

The inverted Vee is easy to deploy (one hoist point), cheap to build (no
radials required), and while it won't compare with a full height 1/4
wave vertical for DX, it is not a bad compromise antenna.  Plus, if you
lower it, it works very well for regional NVIS, especially during the
daytime.